BdOSN | Bangladesh Open Source Network
Bangladesh Open Source Network (BdOSN) is a non-profit, voluntary organization. It was launched on 24th October 2005 in Dhaka. The network (BdOSN) is registered with Regitrar of Joint Stock Companies of Bangladesh under Societies Act as "Bangladesh Open Source Network Foundation". The initial idea is to create a broad organization where the Open Source and Open Content volunteers and professionals can exchange their ideas and embark on new initiatives. In the last year after formation BdOSN has matured into an independent organization with partnerships with other Open Source based organization and individuals.
To harness the potential of Open Source and Open Content philosophy
- for the social and economic development of the country, and
- to prepare the nation to avoid possible significantly negative consequences of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)-related trade repercussions arising from the widespread use of pirated software and content.
Some of the objectives
- To establish a non-profit, voluntary organization that will offer processes for enhancing the abilities and capacity of individuals, groups, institutions, organizations, societies, and government in Bangladesh by using Open Source and Open Content solutions for their sustained economic and social development.
- To promote Open Source and Open Content philosophy in all applicable fields for the social and economic development.
- To popularize Open Source and Open Content philosophy in general and Open Source Software (OSS) in particular.
- To conduct policy advocacy on Open Source and Open Content to relevant stakeholders including the government, businesses, civil society and general citizens.
- To bridge the digital divide among different parts of the nation by facilitating and catalyzing the adoption, development and localization of OSS amongst individuals, groups, institutions, organizations, societies, and government of Bangladesh.
- To facilitate translation, localization and development of Open Source and Open Content materials according to national needs.
- To organize and assist in organizing various capacity building sessions for translation, localization, development and adoption of Open Source and Open Content materials.
- To establish a network of individuals from the academia, private sector, civil society, government, general citizenry and non-resident Bangladeshis (NRB) who will work collaboratively to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- To engage national and international bodies to provide necessary support, collaboration and funding to promote Open Source and Open Content in Bangladesh.
- To establish a technical and professional services resource center to facilitate greater adoption of Open Source and Open Content in the academia, government, civil society organizations, and other institutions, including placing students working on Open Source/Open Content projects on internships within the industry.
- To establish a "Open Source Software Support Center (OSSSC)" that will house information, resources, CD-ROMs and other syndicated open source materials from local and global sources.
- To disseminate Open Source and Open Content materials to large segments of the society through various means.
- To develop and maintain a national and international database of key experts and subject matter specialists on Open Source and Open Content.
- To develop local capacity and create job opportunities for women and youth in Bangladesh by developing an Open Source and Open Content market.